Wednesday 23 May 2012

Youth Unemployment and the Bloody Media

I've been planning a post for while concerning how irritating much of the mainstream media is on the subject of Youth Unemployment (imagine there's a lot of reverb when I say those words, Mysterons-style). The condescending tone and vague sound of surprise from puffed-up journalists, a large portion of whom will have been privately educated (the successful ones, at least, as I am reliably informed by Owen Jones).

However, I haven't managed to find a suitably pithy and witty response to such arse-water, and the topic is swiftly forgotten as my mind becomes enraged by some other piece of absolute bull within a few minutes.

But I need try no longer! For the awesome and far-funnier-than-me-by-half Vagenda have beaten me to it. And as a person who didn't fall into unemployment following graduation, all I can offer is solidarity as opposed to the Vagenda's genuine empathy.

I was one of the lucky ones, and I'm not so arrogant as to think it was my genius which got me my graduate position, and that anyone who failed to graduate into a job must by definition be an overindulged moron who's long-term suffering is merely the price we must pay in a society where intellectual superhumans like myself can reign supreme. I definitely don't think that.

No comments:

Post a Comment